Mount unlock / augment abilities? Speed boost, teleportation, Tesla like auto pathing to areas, have the mount more interactive than just sitting there on it.

I enjoy flying mounts purely for the fact you can get a lot more mount designs in a game though if we can have these flying mount designs and not have the actual flying that'd be perfect like in WoW most flying mounts you can actually use whilst low level but obviously unable to fly them, more to this though I would actually enjoy flying quests e.g a quest where during that quest you are given a mount to fly on though ofcourse limit this to that quest only if they leave that area they're then dismounted. (Not for every quest only specific ones which would make sense to the actual story don't try to force content if it doesn't match the story)

• Like 1

11.jpg

Posted (edited)

I’m against implementing flying amounts just as much as implementing overly accessible fast travel. It truly makes most of the world dead if players instantly teleport or fly directly to areas of interest. It also makes quest that involve any form of traveling a joke.

Edited by King
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

I agree with Kida. If you're worried about people not experiencing content, put a level block behind it like WoW did. Make it a reward for the main storyline quest that takes you to all the zones. What I didn't care for was the "Pathfinder" style requirement to get it. Why would you put a mount behind hours of rep grinding where you go to the same places every day and don't see much more than you did during the main story quest? 

Or make an epic quest that specifically takes you all over every zone. I used to love epic quests in EQ.

High levels running past low level areas doesn't make the world more alive. It just gives the ILLUSION of being more alive and instead becomes a time sync for people who may not have a lot of time to play. Guild says "Anyone want to run X Dungeon?" "Sure, just give me 15 [email protected]#$ing minutes to get there, oh wait, nevermind, I only have a half hour to play and we can't run X Dungeon in 15 minutes."

If you want high levels and low levels interacting in the field you have to give them actual goals that both of them need to work on in those places that high levels can't knock out in zero time. A good example is gathering crafting materials that don't expire linearly. (i.e. the same things you need to craft at high levels require the same material components found everywhere in the game, perhaps just alchemized or converted into higher level materials)

Edited by UltraPoe
expounding
  • Like 1

To be honest, the only real good concept of flying mounts are the automated flight paths from WoW/Tera "Classic". (AKA before adding flying mounts)
They do not ruin the fun and/or the game.
They take profit of the vertical maps and show you nice views while travelling to the desired city.
You can as well see the other players doing the same flight path as you.
You go faster than doing autopath on a horse like BDO but still get the enjoyment of the flight.

Easy solution.

AND AND AND AND!!!!

What they should TOTALLY do is adding CUSTOM SKINS for the automated flight mount (aka gryffins, pegasus, etc).

If you want to buy one of these skins for your travels, good, if not, stick with the default and gg.

• Like 1

I'm not too sure how I feel about this. I would only support it should I know how the game developers planned to implement it. I wouldn't want anything added that ruins the fun or gives an absurd advantage. However, I doubt an advantage would be given aside from a speed boost, maybe?

11 hours ago, Tiff said:

I'm not too sure how I feel about this. I would only support it should I know how the game developers planned to implement it. I wouldn't want anything added that ruins the fun or gives an absurd advantage. However, I doubt an advantage would be given aside from a speed boost, maybe?

The only 2 advantage's I could think of is being able to avoid combat depending on if they allowed you to mount up in combat (very bad decision please don't do this) and people being able to find glitches way easier which can lead to people heading under the map and potentially finding spots to gank players ofcourse this is still only assuming that would be how their pvp system could work

11.jpg

Flying mounts is a great topic to discuss, however I am on the fence. I’ve seen some wonderful implementations of successful flying mounts and some horrendous ones. 

I think it comes down to what the developers are trying to achieve with their world. We would have to see many other factors to ultimately conclude whether it’s something worth having. 

I would love to return to this thread further down the road. 🙂

On 5/25/2019 at 11:27 AM, King said:

I’m against implementing flying amounts just as much as implementing overly accessible fast travel. It truly makes most of the world dead if players instantly teleport or fly directly to areas of interest. It also makes quest that involve any form of traveling a joke.

I agree with this, on top of the idea that it ruins any world PVP, that may/may not get implemented, completely. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, NodOff said:

I agree with this, on top of the idea that it ruins any world PVP, that may/may not get implemented, completely. 

I’m just against fast travel in genera and that’s what I see flying mounts as

Edited by TITAN
Removed unnecessary part at end
  • Like 2

spacer.png

I think, fast travel, teleportation to dungeon, etc... kills communication between players. I don't want to say it was better before 😉 I really love modern MMOs. But one thing is really true, when I started, as we haven't got maps, fast travel, etc... you couldn't survive without asking others players for tips, help,... the famous general channel was really active, and everybody knew that you had to play hand in hand ! I love that.

But flying is a dream for a lot of people ^^ Including myself. Then, It could be cool in my opinion to have a possibility to fly but just for a limited time, trying to reach always a place a little more higher ^^ Then not for traveling, but more for exploring. Or just be able to glide. Same point of view, for exploring purpose, and just eyes pleasure.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 10:54 PM, Tiff said:

Back in the WoW days when Burning Crusade came out I had a rogue that would dive bomb people in PvP. Rogues could fall a higher distance before taking damage, so I could fly above someone, dismount, stealth, hit the ground, and stun lock them to death. I'd place this as a decent advantage on the PvP side of things.

• Like 1

2.jpg

flying mounts kill open world games and there is literally no argument against that rofl

• Like 5

QCpaHh6.gif

18 hours ago, TITAN said:

I’m just against fast travel in genera and that’s what I see flying mounts as

I'm right there with you. Anything that ends up making the world feel smaller, less alive, and easily avoidable, is a con imo. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kunai_Vax said:

Im against any form of fast travel in a sandbox mmo 

This isn't pure sandbox.. that first point and second flying mounts as many said there would ruin atmosphere of world because you would just see flying mounts everywhere and ground would be empty without life...

Fast travel will be just between cities which is normal even in normal rpg, sometimes even in single sandbox games

7 hours ago, Hersik said:

This isn't pure sandbox.. that first point and second flying mounts as many said there would ruin atmosphere of world because you would just see flying mounts everywhere and ground would be empty without life...

Fast travel will be just between cities which is normal even in normal rpg, sometimes even in single sandbox games

Eve online didn’t have fast travel and it made the game feel huge. Originally wow didn’t have fast travel either unless you count the tram between stormwind and ironforge but even then you had to travel to the station and wait for the next tram. Star Wars galaxies kind of had fast travel, you could take space ships to other planets but you still had to travel to a near by station and then wait for the next ship to arrive. Depending on how large the world is going to be I might be in favour of something similar to vanilla wow or Star Wars galaxies. Those methods served their purpose without taking away from the open world feel. 

But adding convenience to open world games is a slippery slope. 

To be honest if the point of flying from point A to point B is to do it faster... just teleport or something similar.

Flying is fun as a different approach to the game, being able to do some discovery and certain tasks/quests and also to view the environment in other perspective.

But... flying is also stupid in these situations:

1) If you have to fly from point A to point B taking 10mins to do it....... you just go afk or watch some videos while it is flying to the point, so what's the point?

2) It completely ruins pvp experience as someone hidden while flying jumps on you out of nowhere, or can run away or your targets get all messed up. There are certain ways to avoid this - as if in a "pvp combat mode" flying is disabled, or say if you get hit while flying you hit the ground and get stunned for like 2 secs, or even if you are flying and want to sneak on someone you have a time delay to attack after dismounting.

3) Talking again in pvp, flying mounts can be extremely annoying as the huge amount of area they cover, in a chaotic situation, you simply have no idea what you are actually targeting and also can cause lag problems.

4) It can ruin the economics of a game as usually flying mounts are way faster than ground mounts or if they are the same, everyone just buy the flying mount..

I would say a "glide" motion of some sort like fortnite has, could be a better option, as you are kinda disabled to attack while in mid-air but you can get shot. Also you don't use gliding to "transport" yourself but instead you use it to surpass obstacles faster.

This is my opinion, cheers.

• Like 1

I would LOVE to see flying mounts. 

Id like to see them as an end game item and maybe endurance based? So they don’t fly forever. I also don’t want a glide system 🙂 real flying.  

Posted (edited)

One one hand, itd be cool to fly and see the game from above. On the other, itd be way too easy once u got a flying mount. Theres a game i play called ark, where there are flying mounts, which is one of the reasons i would argue it actually gets easier in many ways later game. Maybe fine for a survival game, but not an mmorpg. But i think there should be some way to see the land from the sky, whatever that is.

17.jpg

Edited by AlphaWolf464

On 5/22/2019 at 4:46 PM, McKay said:

I'm firmly against the idea of flying mounts, I believe they're one of the things that ruined World of Warcraft. It takes the danger out of travel since you can fly above any troublesome mobs/players. 

Agreed. It's fun to have the danger of other mobs/players while moving around.

Personally I'm not much into mounts or flying. I'd rather the game be well designed for normal ground traffic than poorly designed for everything 😉

forum-banner.png

If there will be flying mounts in this game, there better be boundaries so that no one breaks the map or glitch.