Snowflakex

Flying Mounts

I would like to hear everyone's opinion about flying mounts. Not just in Oath  ( not sure if they will implement it or not ) but in every MMORPG. I think as soon as a company adds flying mounts to the game, it ruins the experience of walking through the zones and meeting new players. You just get on your flying mount, fly in a certain direction and AFK while looking at the sky or tab out until you reach your destination.

Tbh, i really like mounts and the concept of them but I personally agree on the view of not adding flying mounts, it automates too many things; the scenery that the devs put effort in, meeting people. Don't get me started on PVP and flying mounts just mount up and bye, just makes me cry.

10 minutes ago, Savager007 said:

Tbh, i really like mounts and the concept of them but I personally agree on the view of not adding flying mounts, it automates too many things; the scenery that the devs put effort in, meeting people. Don't get me started on PVP and flying mounts just mount up and bye, just makes me cry.

Exactly my point. The devs put so much work into these beautiful zones and the amazing art and adding flying mounts will just skip all that imo.

I'm firmly against the idea of flying mounts, I believe they're one of the things that ruined World of Warcraft. It takes the danger out of travel since you can fly above any troublesome mobs/players. 

Counter.argument, having flying mounts.allows.for vertical evironments. They don't have to allow you to fly everywhere and can do like many games are require you to see all there is to see first.

• Like 1

I’ve never really understood why there is a need to limit fast transportation in MMOs. Like if taking a teleport or a flying mount ruins any experience for you it’s honestly as simple not doing it. Get on your pretty, slow horse and ride around to your heart’s desire. Talk to all the people, enjoy the environments.

How does having those options available for you to not use ruin anything?

Not everyone wants the same thing though. Maybe someone got their human interaction in by spending hours in a raid or pvping in a group and want to do X,Y, and Z before they have to log off and aren’t interested in meeting new people or taking in the flowers on the way to the City. Maybe they’d enjoy a relaxing flight through the same environment but that also cuts down their travel time by half. 

So basically, no I wouldn’t mind there being flying mounts. Being forced to trot slowly through a region isn’t going to make someone pay attention to it if they’re not interested in doing so.

Oh and as far as pvp goes I think mounts should be disabled.

Edited by Cynical

Only if it is done similarly to how Guild Wars 2 did their griffon mount. It is so much fun to use, feels like you're actually flying, and makes vertical maps more engaging without feeling like you are immune to physics

GW2 mounts in general are super fun, so yeah I agree. But of course one would hope the mounts would feel good regardless of if they’re ground or flying ones.

57 minutes ago, Yaz87 said:

Counter.argument, having flying mounts.allows.for vertical evironments. They don't have to allow you to fly everywhere and can do like many games are require you to see all there is to see first.

If they get flying in the game, i hope its gonna be in a certain zone only. it is terrible exemple of  a game but AION had that where you could fly only in certain area while other place was only ground.

3 minutes ago, Bonebraker said:

If they get flying in the game, i hope its gonna be in a certain zone only. it is terrible exemple of  a game but AION had that where you could fly only in certain area while other place was only ground.

I agree with this, only allow flying in certain areas.

I would prefer ground only, but would overall be fine with flying mounts in a specific region/locale only. 

personally i think it should be all or nothing. If it's limited to certain areas it begs the question why only there? I think it breaks immersion more than if it were common or impossible.

I think some level of flying, in moderation, is fine so long as it doesn't get as messed up as Archeage. I loved the concept of gliding, having a limited amount of time to do so, and the idea of different glider skills to suit everyone's playstyle but the different glider abilities created conflict when some were inarguably better than others (Sloth glider, Ravenspine wings for those of you who have played Archeage) that threw balance way off. 

I will also agree that traveling from place to place is more immersive and fun, but I hope there will be some form of fast travel or flight path seeing as how large the map actually is. 

9.jpg

Find me on: [Steam] | Discord: [Lich.Daddy.UwU]#3769

I actually do not mind flying mounts if it is done like WoW (burning crusade since thats what i remember most). In general i wouldnt want to fly everywhere all the time. And i found even when i have flying mount i still engaged in walking and talking to others. Only when i was wanting to go from one city to another (lets say 5-10 mins of flying) is when i actually flew. Or when i wanted to go to pvp zones quickly.

All in all if oath has flying mounts i hope they are limited to certain areas.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Flying mounts are a big no to me. I can't stand when games introduce them. I feel they take away from the game play. Once you have one, you skip over things and just go directly to the point you want. It's nice to be stuck to the ground and enjoy the environment around you. Also there can be a bit of a challenge when you have to fight your way back out of a camp instead of just taking off once you kill the chief

2.jpg

I'm not a big fan of flying mounts. It's cool and all but.. ehh!

I've already thought about flying mounts in games that not kill the player interaction or make people overall see less players, especially by newer players in the ground/walking area, because people are flying 100meter above everyone, afk. That's stupid. A compromise for that, with what I would be okay with (Kinda, maybe?!), would be something like: no auto path flying so you have to be there and the flying height is not as high so maybe just a few meters above the ground/trees and then you also can't fly above the whole map/mountains. So flying mounts are just a cool special mount feature for maybe, really rare mounts that you can't buy?! (Maybe even just "hovering" mounts that only fly like twice the size of a character high, so you can still react to others and chat with them and for other players it doesn't feel like there are no players and everyone just AFk auto path flying somewhere in the air)

Edited by Matatabi

Of course flying can be awesome, but i feel that it does more bad than good. They can make a world seem empty as you will eventually reach a point where everyone has a flying mount. This can be quite a negative experience for new players. 
I do think that having limited flying mounts as a reward is not as impactful and it gives people a nice goal to work towards...even if its only temporary. 

I would love seeing Flying mounts but it does ruin some parts of the game so I don't want them to be added

I like the idea of air travel between big cities, but that's about all the flying I'd like to see in any MMORPG.

• Like 1

Alright, I really don't see the problem with flying mounts, its just another way for a person to get from A to B with less hassle. Of course this "less hassle" way of transport should come with drawbacks, e.g. higher maintenance costs, area limits, max fly time.

The whole "it ruins immersion" or "doesn't allow users to see the scenery the devs designed" arguements are also complete bullshit, how does FLYING in a FANTASY game "ruin immersion", are you forgetting this is in the same universe where a human can summon a fireball out of their asshole?

How can seeing the world from bird's-eye-view ruin the scenery? Surely it would allow players to see the world from a whole new perspective and REALLY prove how much work the devs put in to bring the game to us, if you want to see each and every city, town and village then you can go and look yourself. Not ALL players want to explore the world, some just want to get on and progress through the game without the distractions of escaping from ganks or monsters and without having to spend more playtime travelling than actually playing the game.

tl;dr: flying mounts don't suck, and can't ruin a fantasy immersion anymore than getting ganked a million times while progressing to the next area that you spent the past 30 fucking minutes walking to.

Edited by thomas
typo
  • Like 1

steam 💔 / twitch / 💔 +** myanimelist 😞 💕
++** +:) love ! lit **!++

Flying Mounts opens up a whole new method of exploration in game so i highly support it as i love exploring around