Sign in to follow this  
Jessica

Mage Hopes?

(Going to just start a topic on all classes so people can have a central topic to just dump their hopes into if devs want to skim them for ideas)

As someone who rarely played much mage outside of an Illusionist in Dungeons and Dragons & Chronomancer in Guild Wars 2, what are some hopes people have for how magic is handled in this game?

11.jpg

Elemental builds depending on the strength and weaknesses of the fights/boss fights.

Fire, mastery on damage over time

water/ice, mastery on crowd control/freezes

wind, mastery on mobility and movement

earth, mastery in regenerative/hybrid

I guess there should also be non elemental attacks too for pure damage like mana blast, mana missile, mana etc before picking mastery.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

Necromancy (although, so many games try and get it right)

Perhaps to go off the beaten path.... some type of divine intervention specialization would be neat.  Sacrificial stuff, or piety (probably using the term incorrectly, but hopefully you get the idea) for the other side 😉

I hope that you'll be able to build a mage to be mobile, quick casting of low dmg skills, dashes etc. not your typical standing in 1 place and spamming spells.

54 minutes ago, AhegaoFace said:

I hope that you'll be able to build a mage to be mobile, quick casting of low dmg skills, dashes etc. not your typical standing in 1 place and spamming spells.

I like this idea. If they were able to find a cool way to potentially allow us to make mobile, quick casting CC mages then that would be very interesting to see

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 2:45 PM, Water said:

Make them the master of all instead. Thoughts?

I would be all for the ability to switch your mastery in safe zones or with some sort of cool down unlike GW2 where you constantly switch between elements. I just don't like the concept of constantly switching elemental magic. Another idea would be allowing for some sort of combination magic where you can choose two elements and have basic skills for each then combo skills.

• Like 3

spacer.png

I'd love to see necromancer branch or just an entire necromancer class.

Some epic spells! It is so disappointing when I am max level and my spells look like I am level 1. Be neat to see ritual magic as well. 

• Like 3

Maybe you mix casting with some melee abilities so you have what I would call a battle mage.  So stand still to cast your big damage from afar but move in to deal lighter melee damage.  This melee could be either during movement phases or as a break from casting to help in some way or as an alternative way to regenerate manna or whatever power source mages will use.  Weapons could be staff or sword/dagger/mace main with spell book type thing for off hand or wand main and sword/dagger/mace off hand.

Visions of Gandalf in battle wielding a sword.

On 5/27/2019 at 12:33 AM, reaper said:

I would be all for the ability to switch your mastery in safe zones or with some sort of cool down unlike GW2 where you constantly switch between elements. I just don't like the concept of constantly switching elemental magic. Another idea would be allowing for some sort of combination magic where you can choose two elements and have basic skills for each then combo skills.

I really like the idea of two basic elements and combination skills. Hope they'll do something like this.

Posted (edited)

I really hope they offer a classic Elementalist, but not branching off into each Element individually. Just one path that gets all the elemental AoE stuff.

Maybe Start out with a standart Arcane Mage, who can then tap into further sources of power (Elements, Dark, Blood,...) or focus on his arcane skills.

What might be cool would be an Arcane Mage that Attacks with spectral Weapons, Arcane Traps/Mind Traps, Arcane Armor/Shields. So basically a warrior but with more magic tricks and less brute force.

Or an Illusionist. Attacking the mind of enemies, confusing them or causing them to flee. Applying a lot of CC and Debuff, but only single target. unlike an elementalist who can probably slow or freeze groups of enemies.

Or something like a Force Brawler. Attacking the enemy with Heavy Punches and Kicks, infused with Arcane/Elemental Magic. Maybe switching between a Fire/Water/Nature/Arcane/... - Stance

Or a Bloodmage that loses his Mana Bar but gains X Max HP for Y Mana he has, casting speels with Life, Some Draining Life, some causing sickness to enemies or weakening them. Maybe even controlling weak enemies/adds with bloodstrings/.... They could also have some cool on Death/rebirth effects. Maybe turning into some sort of Blood-Golem/Avatar on Death, Reviving on a Small Amount of Health if they dealt enough damage/sucked enough life in that form.

Or ...

TL:DR : I really hope they make one melee option for mage and go some unconventional ways too.

Edited by Metimaxi

14.jpg

Would love a Storm Mage!

List of spells would be cool to include:

Lightening bolt - Your basic range damage spell

Buffeting winds - Cone knock-back

Mist form - Temporarily become mist avoid all damage and pass through enemies 

Call Lightening - Targeting lock on lightening bolt from the heavens (Like the ranger ability in the kick starter video)

Defibrillation - Shocking the heart of a fallen ally to bring them back to life (Combat res)

Discharge - A burst of static electricity is discharged from the Storm Mage doing damage and stunning all enemies around them.

An Average British Day - Summon a cloud of miserable rain on an targeted area slowing all enemies in range.

Chain lighting - A beam skill when landed on an enemy it will chain to other enemies in range.

Tempest of the storm - Huge Storm is summoned doing aoe damage to all enemies in the targeted area

Backing winds - The winds behind the mage pickup giving them and all allies heading in the same direction nearby a Speed buff 

Sudden mist - Summon mists in a big targeted area causing enemies to be highlighted if they are in it and shrouding allies.

There are so many other spells you could throw in that are storm themed would be really cool to see a storm mage put together in this game!

On 6/28/2019 at 8:15 PM, Count_Brownbear said:

Would love a Storm Mage!

List of spells would be cool to include:

Lightening bolt - Your basic range damage spell

Buffeting winds - Cone knock-back

Mist form - Temporarily become mist avoid all damage and pass through enemies 

Call Lightening - Targeting lock on lightening bolt from the heavens (Like the ranger ability in the kick starter video)

Defibrillation - Shocking the heart of a fallen ally to bring them back to life (Combat res)

Discharge - A burst of static electricity is discharged from the Storm Mage doing damage and stunning all enemies around them.

An Average British Day - Summon a cloud of miserable rain on an targeted area slowing all enemies in range.

Chain lighting - A beam skill when landed on an enemy it will chain to other enemies in range.

Tempest of the storm - Huge Storm is summoned doing aoe damage to all enemies in the targeted area

Backing winds - The winds behind the mage pickup giving them and all allies heading in the same direction nearby a Speed buff 

Sudden mist - Summon mists in a big targeted area causing enemies to be highlighted if they are in it and shrouding allies.

There are so many other spells you could throw in that are storm themed would be really cool to see a storm mage put together in this game!

An average British Day sounds great ❤️

14.jpg

It'd be pretty dope to have a close quarters build. Lots of AoE based on your own position, effecting the area in a radius around yourself. Almost like casting from yourself instead of through a Staff. Maybe a get in, burst and get out kind of deal, or just standing in the action like a Warrior. I can imagine teleporting into a group of mobs, freezing them and hitting the group with a pulse type AoE that either pulses faster or stronger the longer it's active. 

A Buff Mage would be cool, granting teammates Elemental/Magic boosts to their damage and granting Sheilds. 

On 5/25/2019 at 4:45 PM, Water said:

Make them the master of all instead. Thoughts?

I actually agree with you on that one buddy.