Polo

Adopt the Conquer Online PvP rules loosely.

Posted (edited)

1. Open PvP. 

2. Place OP guards in Cities that will nearly insta kill anyone that tries to attack inside Cities (but allow guards to be killed as well if someone or a group of people is strong enough to do so) 

3. If you constantly PK (player kill) you build up points (PK points) and your name changes colors depending on how much PKing you actually do. Starting from standard (white/green) and follows with orange - red - black.

4. A. While white named, there's no penalty to losing in PvP and you will earn X amount of PK point for killing another white named player. Also, if you engage another player your name will flash for a set amount of  time which will allow you to be killed by anyone else that happens to be nearby with no PK points being given to them if you are to be killed (but only if your name is flashing which indicates you just attempted to hurt someone which eliminates sneak PvPing in crowded areas).

B. While orange named, you can be freely attacked by a white named player and the white named player will not gain any PK points for doing so, If attacked by a red or black named player those players will earn  PK points like normal.

C. While red named, anyone can attack you freely as well as guards in cities will attack you on sight or if you approach their aggro range. Also, there's a small % chance of dropping gear if you are killed.

D. While black named, anyone can attack you freely as well as guards in cities with an increased chance of losing multiple pieces of gear if not all of the gear you are currently wearing.

E. PK points slowly degrade over time so nobody has to stay a target forever but will also add another layer of gameplay if you choose to live that life, Also, black and red named players could perform "Positive" tasks to decrease their PK points quicker because red and black named players would be targets for MUCH longer than an orange named player.

F. Black named players are to be feared by nature, so to let them stand out you add an infamy board in the cities where everyone can see who's the most dangerous player in the area/world/etc.

G. If a black named player at a certain PK point threshold is killed they are also sent to the "Jail" or "Mines" to mine resources to expedite their freedom. They do not keep the resources they are only used as payment for leaving the "jail/mines" earlier than waiting for their PK points to degrade normally. (Only the most egregious of players will ever be forced to spend time in here)

H. Along with the infamy board, you also add a bounty board in each city where another player can place rewards for anyone that goes out and hunts down a specific red or black named player. You limit the amount of money or in game resources that can be placed on an individual based on infamy and PK points to prevent exploitation.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but MMO's use to be fun to play before they became too cookie cutter, This list is very early thoughts but I personally feel this would be a good way to make every type of player happy. This method allows PvE players to spot a potential enemy before conflict ensues  because their name (due to word of mouth/bounty/infamy board OR name color) will stand out which also prevents random Ganks (in certain situations)

This also prevents any AFK farming or exploitation via bots because you'll be able to attack that bot if necessary.

This should also make PvPers happy because they can choose to live how they live while also increasing their own risk based on their own actions without feeling stifled by unnecessary locations that will eventually be ghost towns.

I get it, it's 2019 but not everyone has to be soft. There's a reason why the MMO genre has died out over the years and adopting some classic rules that were ahead of their time isn't a bad thing at all.

Edited by Polo
spacing

I didn’t read the whole thread, but it’s already been stated that there will not be entire open world PvP.  And that’s pretty well established and I don’t think it’ll change.

Guilds that are at war may see open world PvP, who knows 

7 hours ago, Pluto said:

I didn’t read the whole thread, but it’s already been stated that there will not be entire open world PvP.  And that’s pretty well established and I don’t think it’ll change.

Guilds that are at war may see open world PvP, who knows 

Game isn't even in alpha 1 yet, it'd probably be in their best interest to test more than just one prematurely established system.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Polo said:

Game isn't even in alpha 1 yet, it'd probably be in their best interest to test more than just one prematurely established system.

Lol.  Changing the game completely from what was sold on the Kickstarter would be a bad move for sure 

This is coming from someone who likes open world PvP games.  The fact of the matter is, that isn’t what Oath is.

You should check out fractured though, I think it’s more in line with what you’re looking for 

Edited by Pluto
  • Like 1