Sign in to follow this  
UltraPoe

Anti-lootbox Bill

For those curious, there's been an anti-lootbox legislation bill being presented by Josh Hawlsey-R-MO. This is relevant because there's a lot of concern with Oath's f2p model leaves it possible to end up with a lot of p2w stuff as that's what happens with many f2p games. If legislation is passed that won't be legally possible.

Here is the initial text of the bill: 

https://www.hawley.senate.gov/sites/default/files/2019-05/Loot-Box-Bill-Text.pdf

I've been discussing it in Discord and with friends. The main reason it could be struck down is broad language. However, it's also a Republican-led initiative with bipartisan support in an administration that gets few bipartisan wins, and it would give the Republican party a lot of visibility and good press among Millenials/GenZ (who are now entering voting age), which tend to not vote Republican, so I think there's a good chance it could pass with some revision.

What are your thoughts? Stay away from bipartisan fighting, please.

Edited by UltraPoe
Fixing spelling.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, thomas said:

Lootboxes and Pay2Win are not mutually inclusive.

Yeah, CoD is a prime example of both being present 

spacer.png

I agree; I think that's why both are mentioned separately in the bill. The idea is even if it's not a p2w mechanic it can still trigger gambling addiction reactions in the vulnerable.

We don't need a bill or legislators to fix our problems. If everybody boycotted games with lootboxes, they wouldn't exist.

This is relevant because there's a lot of concern with Oath's f2p model leaves it possible to end up with a lot of p2w stuff as that's what happens with many f2p games. If legislation is passed that won't be legally possible.

Also, making legislation that forbids companies from doing whatever they want with their property (as long as it doesn't bring harm to others), specially in IT and virtual goods, and the possibilities for new legislation is dangerous and uncalled for if you ask me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BaSkA said:

If everybody boycotted games with lootboxes, they wouldn't exist.

Hahaha. Americans don't vote with their wallet. I'm like the only person I know who does that. Look at how many people still use Facebook after flat-out being told they're abusing their data resulting in manipulated elections.

3 hours ago, BaSkA said:

Also, making legislation that forbids companies from doing whatever they want with their property (as long as it doesn't bring harm to others), specially in IT and virtual goods, and the possibilities for new legislation is dangerous and uncalled for if you ask me.

So you're not okay with the government regulating water cleanliness or explosives or air transportation security? Because this is the exact same concept, just applied to something new.

Edited by UltraPoe
I got mean and there's no excuse for that.
  • Like 1

Pretty sure this has been tried before, doubt anything will come of it.

The real problem I see with lootboxes is that it is manipulating youth.  There's a reason gambling is restricted behind an age barrier... guess what isn't?  Lootboxes.  In many cases, it is extremely manipulative, even more so than true gambling. 

Edit:

I'd see this passing in Europe maybe, but the US of A?  Haha, funny 😜

Edited by Pluto

On 5/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, UltraPoe said:

So you're not okay with the government regulating water cleanliness or explosives or air transportation security? Because this is the exact same concept, just applied to something new.

I don't think a "public" government can do anything better than private companies can, but that's a long story. To keep it simple, I'm very worried when people think giving power to bureaucrats who obey what a bunch of vile people want (politicians) is a smart idea. It's easy to give them power, but good luck trying to take it away from them.

On 5/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, UltraPoe said:

Hahaha. Americans don't vote with their wallet. I'm like the only person I know who does that. Look at how many people still use Facebook after flat-out being told they're abusing their data resulting in manipulated elections.

Hence why you shouldn't just give up and let people keep being ignorant, that's probably the worst thing you could do, in my view.

Just to wrap this up, my main focus was about how that sort of legislation simply ignores private (virtual) property and tells what a company can and cannot do with it, which can create some quite dangerous premises. If people voluntarily choose to waste money with said practices (lootboxes, etc), it's their problem and I wish nobody was able to tell them what they can't do it or a that company can't sell it.

Cheers

No one likes government except ppl working for the government, and a lot of them hate it too.

But, regulations help prevent things from happening that otherwise would. No one says it's perfect but it's a step in the right direction.

Any company that needs to rely on deceiving, manipulating, or pressuring people into parting with money for an unknown and unrealistic chance to get an item they want, shouldn't be in business.

If a company actually cares for their player base, their reputation, and longevity, they will planley and fairly post their items for sale on the shop where a customer can make an informed decision and can see and feel the tangable value of an item.

Nothing causes regret faster than spending $100 for an item, or more, to later realize you stupidly spent X amount of money that should have been on the store for $10-$25.

Games with lootboxes are toxic and predatory. I don't care if it's to minors or adults.

They need to be banned outright or game companies will just label their games mature to get around it.

Forcing them to disclose % is also a good way to destroy the practice because they all know their sale numbers will hit rock bottom as soon as people realise the mount they want has a .33% drop chance. (That's 1/3rd of 1%)

The number I used was an actual number from a court case, idk which game, I forget

Edited by Yaz87

I feel this is just people placing blame on anyone but the person actual participating in the activity and getting mad about the results. 

If by some chance this passes in the US video game companies that have used pay to win or lootboxes will just find another way to take "advantage" of their players. 

• Like 1

tbh, im not worried. The devs have said they wont do any p2w stuff, and judging by how close they are with the community, i trust em.

17.jpg

Edited by AlphaWolf464