YourClosetLlama

Carrying Arrows

What are everyone's thoughts on needing to carry arrows, traps, etc. that the Ranger may need to use their skills?  I'm thinking back to World of Warcraft (prior to them changing this) where you gave up a bag slot for a quiver and needed to carry your ammunition. 

I found it a little frustrating for gameplay, but interesting/sensible for flavor. 

On another note, what other Ranger (or similar class) features do you think Oath could benefit from? What about features, that you have encountered in other games, for Ranger that you would not like to see?

Let me hear your thoughts--and please be civil!

9.jpg

Find me on: [Steam] | Discord: [Lich.Daddy.UwU]#3769

I think needing to physically carry arrows/bullets for your weapon is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever came across. Dead-zoning on Rangers is another feature that is absolutely frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I wish i had to keep track of what I was firing.  I Don't play archer classes in most other games because it breaks my immersion to not need ammo.  The only way around this for me is if it's a magic bow firing energy beams or something.  Even then at what point are you an archer or a mage?

2 hours ago, mekkew said:

I Don't play archer classes in most other games because it breaks my immersion to not need ammo.

How is fighting NPCs that respawn in a cartoon-like world with meteors randomly being generated by mages fine, but if it's about an archer not needing ammo it suddenly breaks "your immersion". I never get these kind of complaints. You could even be creative yourself if "immersion" ruins it for you, for example the arrows are made with mana on the spot and the stronger the arrow the more mana you need.

I actually like the idea of carrying arrows, because then it opens up the possibility of having "special" arrows. Maybe these arrows slow on hit, or these ones have a fire DoT that they apply, etc. I don't know how big inventory is going to be in this game though, but idk if I would want them to give up a whole bag slot just to play their class. Though back then rogues had to also buy their own poisons which I also thought was kinda fun.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 7:02 PM, YourClosetLlama said:

What are everyone's thoughts on needing to carry arrows, traps, etc. that the Ranger may need to use their skills?

I like it. It does add some player immersion to the class (it is an RPG after all) and opens up some great gameplay opportunities with the potential for:

• Arrow items dropping from mobs
  • Crafting of arrows from items dropped by mobs
  • Having a variety of arrows of different rarity and effects: Elemental arrows (fire, ice, earth, etc.), Effect arrows (stun, blind, poison, slows, etc.), Combination arrows (a certain type of arrow might give more dmg or some effect with a certain bow type, ex. Light bow + light arrows = additional 20% dmg and chance to blind)
  • Having some weight/storage limitations on the arrows can counteract the range and damage PvE advantages that Rangers will (should) have over other classes.

spacer.png

or the bow and arrows will take a slot in your inventory but if you equip it it will take place into your wearables so it will be removed from inventory en be placed into weared items, and arrows can be unlimited and if not you can buy 9999 in a shop somewhere for not to expensive but stronger arrows will need to be crafted... something like that + what i expect from a ranger class is atleast some aoe attacks like arrow shower or some sort of barrage type where you shoot a couple arrows that will fall down on them or spray em, and different type of arrows like Poisened, burning, freezing, stunning etc would be nice.. just some ideas

On 6/14/2019 at 7:25 PM, Storylinez said:

or the bow and arrows will take a slot in your inventory but if you equip it it will take place into your wearables so it will be removed from inventory en be placed into weared items, and arrows can be unlimited and if not you can buy 9999 in a shop somewhere for not to expensive but stronger arrows will need to be crafted... 

The issue I have with carrying arrows is that it's theoretically a realism feature. However, if one can carry a large sum of arrows (for convenience sake)... is it still realistic or is just a tax on the class? I think it's a cool concept to coat arrows in different substances for poison, paralysis, etc. and crafting these in order to do so is awesome but then I feel like every class should require some form of upkeep items so that it's not only rangers required to carry items to play their class. 

In terms of skill trees, do you think rangers should branch between AOE and Single target or should every available skill tree offer a variety of both? 

9.jpg

Find me on: [Steam] | Discord: [Lich.Daddy.UwU]#3769

I agree with DEEZL, pls dont make us carry arrows, if other players RLY RLY want special arrows make enchantment or something that u can equip on ur bow and BUM poison or DOT dmg, plus this enchantment idea u can u on other types of weapons JUST PLS DONT MAKE US CARRY ARROWS 😄 ❤️

I would agree to carrying arrows, if other classes have to carry materials too.
Like for example Runes for Mage, Herbs for Priest, Poisons for Rogue, Weapon Oil for Fighters,...

14.jpg

I would like it that you don't need arrow to fire normally or with skills but that you could carry and equip special arrows that that would add large amount of damage or extra effect that is limited by the how much you can carry, i.e. one pouch carry's 30 arrow, which you would equip on your off hand but if you wanted more you could swap a shoulder piece for another pouch.