-PvP-

-Dungeons-

-World's/Area's-

-Monster's-

-Professions-

-End Game-

-PvE-

Lets See Those Long Answers 

The leveling experience should be something you put a lot of effort in and shouldn't feel like a drag. You should have fun leveling up and doing dungeons as you level up higher. Most games have it so you are max level in a few hours, this is something I don't like.

Group quests, group activities in general and world bosses / world events that a lot of people participate in at once is something that brings the whole server together. 

Dungeons and raids are also very important in a MMORPG imo. Challenging bosses with fun mechanics that also have a learning curve attached to them. They should work in a way that you have to prepare tactics and work together really well in order to defeat the bosses.

Professions are also a very important aspect in a perfect MMORPG. They shouldn't feel useless. When you farm endlessly for those materials and finally craft your item, it should feel rewarding and special.

Ocean activities are also something I'm looking forward to. If it's something similar to Sea of Thieves where you have several islands you can explore and fight rare mobs / find rare loot and maybe engage in pvp combat, that would be superb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Water said:

The foundation of any good MMO is some beautiful water. The more lakes, rivers and oceans the better.

No no no, the most important thing about the water is what you can DO in it 😜

Argh matey!

I know the game is going to be group oriented, the classes literally spell it out for you.  However, I do hope there is some good solo content as well 🙂

Edited by Pluto
  • Like 1

The perfect MMO..if one can still be found or created...is born of the community that drives it: the people and their respect for one another. Most, and I say this conservatively, most people fondly recall their first days of WoW, Everquest, or any number of first-time ventures into the MMO genre. It was never just one thing.

The people built a world that transcended the boundaries of digital rules and restrictions, that surpassed boundaries and evolved into a commonplace online where humans could gather and immerse themselves into a foreign realm. As the years have gone by, the tropes and memes of all-things-mmo have crowded out the early days, and few people are "impressed" by any MMO for very long, for it always has a fundamental flaw, something that unbalances it or chases away potential player very early on. The sad truth is, almost ALL MMOs fail. Period.

But what if they didn't? What if a world could be built with the right mix of players, community, quests, storylines, and exploration? What WOULD that look like?

Story
For starters, the game has to be about the journey, not the destination. While no system yet has found a way to remove raiding as the "end game" it should certainly not be the only purpose of playing. A mix of great quests that tell an immersive story, hopefully in meaningful chains with returning NPCs.

Crafting
Crafting that puts the players in the heart of the world and lets them make viable weapons, armor, potions, gadgets, furniture, even horseshoes, nails, tools, etc. Hell, why not let crafting BE a game purpose: focus on it, level and excel, become a renown Blacksmith that can craft legendary items (for a price, sure, but that's part of it). How customized can you get? We have games where you can spend an hour customizing the shape and size of your characters nose and eyebrows, but almost never ever seem them close enough for it to matter. And yet the gear we wear, craft, etc...why can it not be customized with colors, different metals, insignias of your own design, etc? How awesome would it be to craft an ax with your custom (game generated) house insignia that is forever recognized as your mark? You could even have advanced crafting options where the "purity" o the metal and quality of the crafted gear had meaning. That Ax is 10,000 gold? Why yes, but see, I made it from the smelted claws of the FireDrake Sargoth the Desecrator, and it increased your damage by 1000%....have fun!

Content
If you exclude the 5% population that will scramble to endgame via the fastest means possible for all, often times much-deserved bragging rights, the vast majority of all games are supported and populated by casual players. Give the players options and incentives to play uniquely. Whether they PVE, PVP, RP, or anything in between, most players tend to do things slower, smell the roses, and take their time to "get there".  The problem is, the 5% are the ones that end up with the attention, as they slide through dungeons and raids and best the end game content, then scream for more content and wander around ganking lowbie sin PvP because "they're bored". That was me. Yelling, Posting. Complaining that content was too easy or casual. That PvP was pointless because...well, I was terrible.  Why make a game for us? We are almost never, ever be happy.  Certainly, create new content, but no more focused than the 95% of the player base that's actually funding the game and running the world.  Let players decide how and when they get to the end. Let alt-a-holics roam free, let quests have meaningful impacts so it's not painful to do them a second time (or third, fourth...Jesus, how many alts do you run?).

Exploration
Seeing the world. Traveling in your MMO should be, let's just say, breath-taking. I'm not saying the latest ultra HD realistic UnrealEngine photoreal scenes...I mean those are nice, but why exclude such a large player base that can't afford to purchase the hardware to run those graphics? But the world SHOULD be an adventure, with areas to discover, and rewards for doing so, like hidden quests, vendors, even random lore or NPC conversations that offer some hint or clue to a larger story. Make getting through the world part of the leveling in the world. It's okay to have to run around (waste time) as you explore. World's are big places. You meet all kinds of people along the way. Anything that speeds up that travel does increase leveling efficiency but decreases exploration, discovery, socialization, lore, etc. This doesn't mean you can't have flight paths or some kind of mass transport system between common destinations ONCE you find them, but don't be too hasty.

Mounts
Flying mounts in World of Warcraft seemed very cool. But introduce them to the larger game, and now people don't travel on the ground, they don't interact with random lowbies that need help, and sometimes they completely miss that one secret quest hidden in the forgotten shack under some dead-looking trees because, well, they just flew over it. Which leads to mounts...yes, by the gods, mounts are glorious. There's a bazillion debate of when it's okay for players to have mounts, and what it means. How do they get them? How many can they have? How do they keep up with them? I was a huge mount fan...went for every mount in the game that was reasonable to get beyond "server first" type rewards. I played for 3 years collecting and hunting mounts. It drove me, like god-damn Pokemon. Mounts are special, and their impact on the game can be as well. Mounted combat would be incredibly awesome, one day. I was floored when I played Runes of Magic the first time and found out I could mount in a dungeon, or to ride out fo dangerous combat. That was just unthinkable in other MMOs. And it added options and flavors I had never had.

Guilds
Guilds are the essential core of every MMO community. As the game ages, certain guilds stand out, others come and go, but the concept of a center is built on guilds. A digital community where players come together, to chat, fight, quest, store goods, share in victories, brag, train new recruits, and serve as watchdogs over the population.  Before the days of server changes, name/race/faction changes, etc., getting onto the blacklist of a major guild could end your ninja-looting career really fast - no one would raid with you, or, even let you into their guilds. You paid for your sins. Let players build up a digital empire with the sweat and blood of their members. Reward them with cosmetic things likes banners, titles, etc. Offer guild storage for consumables, rare items, mats for raiding, and gear of alts and new recruits. Offer guild halls, keeps, or other methods for members to come together in one place and be a part of their guild beyond guild chat or discord. Never underestimate the power of inspiration when you see fellow guildies sporting new title, so rare or even epic piece of armor or wicked weapon, anything that may entice you to go for it as well.

Housing
This is something I feel like should just flat be a core thing in any MMO with massive open world spaces and digital communities. EQ had player housing, to the point where you could customize it, build or buy things for it, display your trophies, etc. AND get bonuses for sleeping in it or crafting in it. This is fantastic. I can hang that huge bear head on the wall for Ol' Sooty, or maybe display that amazing Axe that dropped 1 time out of a 100 runs in an expansion form 5 years ago...no just vendor candy, but meaningful. Housing also gives you a "home" inside of your digital world, and honestly, nothing gets much better than that.

PVP
Yes, by all means, let this style of play be an important part of your world, form open-world PVE to specific realms dedicated to PvP, to the instanced battleground with teams vs. teams. None of that is bad. Period. It's not. So as long as the player has the OPTION to do it...or not. Open-world Pvp? Sure, turn on PvP and go for it...that's a choice. PvP servers? Sure, choose to play on that server or a PvE server. But I want to play with my friends, and they leveled on a  PvP server, but I hate PvP...I don't know. Choose better friends? No seriously, this is a choice. Your friends can maybe re-roll on PvE. Or you can both roll together to make actual PvP more interesting...until you get to Redridge and aholes just teabag you all day after pointlessly running your entire questing experience. But whatever you do, don't take away my PvE experience because you want PvP. 

Here's a stickler: If you want good PvP, make it meaningful, take away incentives to gank. You're level 100, killing Level 20s? Yeah, there should be consequences for being such a douchebag. That's not fun. That's not PVP. That's power-raping people that cannot defend themselves.  In PvE, it's easily avoided by just not flagging for PVP. For PvP servers, if you have that one friend that just wouldn't re-roll, yeah...at some point, you just get camped. It might even be me that's doing it...because...I dunno, I had a bad day. But it's wrong, and the normal reaction and explanation of "well, that's PvP" is just lazy excuses for having no plan to make the game enjoyable. That gameplay...for most casuals..results in two scenarios: ragequit and done, or hit level cap and they become the ganker, passing on their aggression to a whole new generation of people that just wanted to kill boars for those stupid livers that no living boar ever seemed to have...stupid quest.

The TLDR; point to this: have solutions for bad behavior that exist in EVERY MMO game on the market. Consider penalizing people you gank lowbies, consider removing their faction, making them outcasts, and apply so much dishonor they lose the ability to talk with their own people, are wanted criminals, or can be legitimately bountied by the ganked player. There are solutions that make this level of play fun. And if your idea of fun is everything I just said we need to prevent...I can't help you. And I honestly think there is something disturbing about people who consider that fun. 

Okay, out of that dark hole...the game can be fun on all levels, but it's up to the community to ensure people are held accountable.

Raiding
No MMO exists long without some kind of raiding, though I think it's necessary to point out that only having "raiding" and level cap (meaningful raiding, not just world PvP) is a mistake. Allow players to feel important throughout their journey. Have raids at some or all major milestone level caps. Why not? It promotes gameplay and offers a different kind of experience that is normally only left to level-capped endgame folks.

Raiding should be fun, challenging, and rewarding. It should not be the only way to get gear/loot, but maybe just maybe, those that play a little harder and kill a little should have access to better gear. I dunno, I'm torn here, and extremely biased because I believe in rewarding people that raid and spend the time and energy doing that level of gameplay. I did it for 12 years. I loved it. Is it fair to have the "best" loot only in end-game raids? no, it's really not. PvP offers options, as should crafting and even major storyline milestone completions. I remember a time before I got into raiding where I looked upon the hardcore raiders of my server, with their glowing weapon enchants, crazy spikey shoulders, and epic mounts, and just stood there, mouth agape. I was inspired by them. And I think that's PERFECTLY fine. They worked for that crap. 

I should not have access to the gear I did not work for. If I can't afford to raid, or put the time to PVP (or stomach doing it), then maybe I have slightly less good gear from crafting, but it's complex to make, requires a different kind of sacrifice (and no...it SHOULD NOT require ingredients you only get from raid bosses...please, stop thinking that). Not everyone can play 40-80 hours a week (yes, those are real numbers). But, if I put in the time I should eventually be able to get the good stuff, own a  house, have a mount, maybe even a few fancy titles. Don't let it be all about the 5% that will content-clear 2-3 days after every patch.  Let them be elite, they did do impressive work, but remember, they are the minority...a LOUD minority, but your casual base requires a whole lot of love.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'll give a short answer, throughout all of the MMOs I've played I truly believe grindy skills and a player trade system are the most important things that most MMOs don't hit the mark on. I truly enjoy working hard and getting an extremely rare drop that you can sell for big cash in game, or having extremely rare items that new players strive for. 

• Like 1

When looking for what I want in an mmorpg, I split up the qualities of an mmorpg into 5 sections that I use to analyze a game: combat, customization, extracurricular activities, visuals vs performance, and monetization. As such, I'm going to split my answer into a mini discussion on each section.

Combat:

With very few exceptions, killing stuff is the activity that takes up the majority of your time in an mmorpg. As such, it is vital that the simple act of killing things must be fun in of itself. If you do not fundamentally enjoy the most frequent activity of the game, then the rest of the game will be dragged down as a result. With this said, an action combat system, which relies on skill and active movement, is preferred over a tab targeting system, which relies on combo chains and character/equipment stats. I have found from my personal experience that I have a whole lot more fun when playing a game with action combat or mixed combat system then when i'm playing one with a tab targeting system.

Customization:

When playing an mmorpg, we tend to dedicate large amounts of time to it, requiring a substantial degree of invested interest in the game and the task you are performing therein. An effective means of creating that interest is to allow the player to have a degree of customization of their character and other aspect of the game, creating a sense of personal attachment. As such, a character creation system which allows for a decently large degree of variance between any two characters, as well as a number of unique races to choose from, is ideal. Additionally, while classes give a degree of balance to the game, I find a game that has a classless system, or a system to "create their own class", tends to offer a better game play experience because I can customize to a substantial degree how my character plays, making my character particularly unique and personal.

Extracurricular Activities:

While I still hold to my previous statement that the majority of the time spent in an mmorpg will be spent killing stuff, there is a lot of potential in terms of other things to do in an mmorpg rather than just killing stuff. From crafting equipment, building structures, playing songs with musical instruments, farming, and more, the possibilities are potentially endless. I would assert that these extracurricular activities are not necessarily needed to have a good mmorpg, they certainly do help, and the more the better.

Visuals vs Performance:

Visuals are arguably an important part of any game, after all, it always helps to enjoy a game if you find the aesthetics of the game to be visual appealing. However, in many cases, the overall quality of game play performance is sacrificed in pursuit of better and better performance. I find this occurrence quite foolish, why bother trying to make a game look as good as possible if as a result the game runs so poorly that you can't play it effectively. A good balance must be made between visuals and performance so that the game is both relatively visually appealing and performs well. As such, as far as I'm concerned, a good mmorpg doesn't have to have the best graphics in the world so long as it looks decently enough to not be hideous and has reliable performance.

Monetization:

If there is anything that recent occurrences in the gaming industry demonstrated, it is that the means by which a game tries to make money can either make or break the game. A good monetization system can make the developers a lot of money and the players will be happy to spend it, a bad monetization system and the game will die faster than a fish out of water. Now, I don't mind micro-transactions in mmorpgs, but on the condition that they are entirely optional, not giving a paying player an objective advantage over non paying players. Other than that, I feel that a buy to play game is preferred over free to play, because it makes sense to have to buy a game to be able to play it, and the initial monetary investment implies that the developer does not have to rely on the micro-transactions for revenue.

TLDR: action or mixed combat, in depth character creation, a decent number of races, classless or make your own class, lots of extra stuff to do, good performance, sufficient graphics, and a monetization scheme that isn't complete cancer. In essence, archeage + runescape + mabinogi + done properly = profit.

• Like 2

The perfect MMO for me would follow some elements of historical accuracy while also diving into the depths of fantasy. 

I love MMO's that do not contain cash shops. Yes, I am aware this game will have a cash shop. I have to be hesitant about that concept with this game.

I love MMO's that have a story. Something deep we can dive into, and really feel we have an impact on. 

I love MMO's that capture, expand, and expand our imagination. 

I love MMO's that really push artwork, and design.
I love MMO's that make me feel as if what I am doing within the MMO actually has a purpose, a goal, a change on the planet that I am adventuring in. 

These along side the normal elements of PVP and PVE. Warfare, and hardcore grinding.. Make the perfect MMO. 

• Like 1

First up I would want crafting to mean something.  I should be able to craft something that is competitive with drops you can get.  Maybe not equal to boss drops from raids but competitive - say 10-15% down on quality stats or whatever.  Not everyone can raid so give them an option to remain competitive but keep the lure of that really good stuff.

Dungeons are a staple of leveling but raids should be available all the way up the leveling experience.  Well ok maybe not for the first x levels but raids all the way up would be great.

PvP can ruin the experience for casual or none PvP players. As dbrogue said in his post make ganking and griefing (gng) not worth it for players.  Flagging yourself for PvP is one way but having a level cap difference between the combatants will help stop gng even when you are flagged.  If you're going to initiate it then (pick a number of levels higher that is reasonable) you can't be - 5, 10 levels higher.  If you're outside that range you can't initiate PvP.  However if your lower level and want to try your luck on that toon over there who is 15 levels higher then go for it and good luck.  PvPers should never be able to kill NPC quest givers.

I like the story driven quests.  I really despise the kill 20 mountain goats just because I want you to and then oh nice job here is 20 gold now go back and kill 20 mountain sheep.  And please no get me 5 horns but you need to kill 500 whatevers to get those 5 horns.  I like quests where you feel like what you are being asked to do is actually accomplishing something.  Maybe also the original quest might require you to complete sub quests along the way.  Not too many though because you run the risk of losing the thread of why you're doing them.

I like the so called holy trinity of Tank, Healer and DPS and I like it when you have to choose to do one of the three.  I am all for a skill system that offers actual choices in how you play within those classes rather than a cookie cutter system.  DPS should not be out DPS'd by the tank no matter how good the tank is but conversely a tank should have the skill set needed to keep aggro/threat on one or several targets no matter the DPS.   What really bugs me is making it too easy for people to switch between roles.  How often have any of you been in a dungeon with a tank or healer that obviously has no idea what they are doing and at their level they really should?

I should have written this first then cut and pasted it here.  So many ideas run through my head while writing and then disappear again.  So for now that's my 2 cents worth well ok maybe its $2 worth.

Edited by Werric
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Werric - well said, well said! I also love the holy trinity of Tank, heals, and DPS. I think have defined, almost rigid roles makes more sense they "bring the player, not the class" concepts. Now I have no problem with people being creative and trying to tank with different classes, specs or whathaveyou, but I think it helps define a genre to have these roles clearly laid out. One of the problems we often see in MMOs, at least the older ones, is that players have to choose a spec, and Tanking vs. dps is difficult due to leveling mechanics. I personally play tanks, and I love leveling in tank specs (because I think it's how one learns their class and rotations, but also because I just like the higher survivability of a tank spec). The problem with this is that leveling as a tank can be much much slower, even frustrating, melee is often hampered by hit/miss mechanics early on that ranged/caster DPS just doesn't have, and someone that levels as a Non-tank will end up in a dungeon, but having only played DPS to that point. Abilities and rotation are completely different. The mindset of a tank is different: you're not there to damage, you're there to soak damage, to prevent your party from taking it, and as a latch ditch, to die protecting your healer...cause, what else matters if they die?

Honestly, I've seen dual-specs allowed in WoW, Runes of Magic, EQ to a degree, and others where it's driven more by gear and not spec. All of those sort of band-aid the problem, but can be useful in situations where you are (always) short on tanks. Tanks kind of have thankless jobs of being expected to know ever dungeon, fight, pull, boss mechanic, etc, while having to anticipate what their party will do as well, and keeping an eye on the threat, adds, etc. It can be overwhelming for new players, and frustrating for experienced DPS/Heals when the tank is so green. I've advocated before that tank classes really should be just that: tanks; armored bastions of damage mitigation that can just take brutal hits. The tradeoff is their DPS is terrible. One MMO allowed warriors to enter a "tank stance" where they were super hard to hurt, but moved incredibly slow, making certain boss fights really tricky for adds and avoidance mechanics. I loved it, personally, because you really were a damage eating machine.

If you compare that to some dungeon or raid bosses in WoW, for example, the difference between most tanks and DPS/Heals is that the DPS/Heals can take maybe 1 hit before death, and the tank can take 2-3. That's really poor mechanics when you consider the concept. yes. mathematically tanks can take 50-75% more damage in that scenario, but it feels weak when you think, okay, that's 1 maybe two hits. Not a lot distinguishing cloth/leather form plate, or DPS/heals from Tank. 

I would gladly trade lack of DPS and movement speed to actually be able to wade into combat and not need preemptive healing to survive the first boss hits. I think if we make tanks more like armored beasts, it will offer survivability and a little more time for new players to adapt and adjust to tanking - A single misclick in dungeons should not destroy your party. Well, at least not in the early ones. Harder dungeons for more seasoned players should be challenging and require teamwork and precision tanking, but still...

Something else to think about is how to mitigate the selfishness of a DPS class - meaning usually DPS can only bring damage to the party by class mechanics. Hybrids often have buffs or other abilities that are useful, but a pure damage dealer can seldom do anything other than damage. I truly love the idea that even damage dealers can bring buffs in the form of auras or debuffs from their attacks that offer party benefits besides pure damage numbers. Maybe the ranged bowhunter has a party speed buff or beast-soothing ability that makes travel better.  I'm probably okay if DPS only brings DPS to the table, after all, that's their role, but I think sometimes that feels short-sighted. As a long-time rogue in WoW I used to offer crowd control before and during fights, stunning adds or runners, slowing enemy movements, dropping a clutch stun against enemies on the healer, etc. While those were all part fo DPS/PVP options, just used in different ways, having them is important: it means you can do MORE then brag about your DPS charts. TLDR; Don't limit player options to just one thing.

Now when it comes to quest, I actually like the "kill 20 xx beasts" because you can kind of move into a relax and grind mode. What I can't stand is when the quest line is about "protecting our borders from the vile Mgggrrrllllls to the east that are overrunning the area"...and you can't find one to kill. The quest needs to make sense. Also, if the drop rate for a dang Mgggrrrllll horn is 1 in 20, just ask me to collect 20 of them instead of 4, and change the dang drop rate to 100%, please. I'd rather kill 100 creatures and get something done, then have to fight the RNGMonster and level twice waiting for the stupid thing to actually drop.

That being said, quests should feel like a larger part of the world. The story can begin at level 1, and carry through level XXX. Players can feel like they are part of the solution, that their actions have meaning, and that tracking down that nasty bad guy was a victory, even if his twin brother's brother's brother has already taken his place...I don't mean phasing or changing the world to react to your actions - that actually seems to make things worse, as cool as it is on paper. But storyline progression is important, and discovering the bad guy down in the mines form your first dungeons, is tied to the insurrection being masterminded by a major raid boss at level cap...now that is awesome! Throwbacks, unlocking lore, and getting answers as to WHY you were sent to kill everyone... that can have power and make the game replayable across alts just to feel it al over again.

• Like 1

Teamwork and Group Achievement + anything that can bring people together. Learn from Guild wars 2 .

• Like 1

I actually posted some of my broad thoughts on what I'd like to see out of an MMO here 
https://forums.readyupstudios.com/index.php?/topic/121-what-do-you-want-out-of-a-mmo/&do=findComment&comment=623

previously, but I also love the chance to leave a way too long post below 😛

-Mounts-
I think GW2 does this better than any game to date. Mounts seem like an amazing target area to build both horizontal and vertical progression into a game. Player should be able to strengthen their mounts, building connections with them mounts and unlocking new abilities from them etc that can branch into different areas. Different mounts should have different strengths and weaknesses and there should be no "best mount" in my opinion, I think this is one of the most important goals, it just seems self-defeating to make everything a ladder to "the best" rather than the most useful at some specific thing.

-Pets-
Personally I've never been super-into non-combat pets, though I do enjoy the idea of henchmen as see in LotRO and Neverwinter. I think the most important thing for me is that pets should be customizable to the greatest degree possible.

-Classes-
This could be a whole big discussion in and of itself. Broadly speaking I think that classes should have "roles" though the "holy trinity" isn't entirely necessary. It is critical that any given class brings some unique value to a party in addition to filling its broader "role" imo. I'm a fan of lots of the traditional classes personally, and think Oath seems off to a great start with the idea of branching paths and so on. 

I like the idea of classes having large amounts of room for customization, whether the traditional talent trees, class specializations or something else. Development choices should matter, well before "endgame" and varied class/builds should be playable without crippling your character.

-QuestLine-
If you ignore everything else I have to say, please hear me out on this one. By far the most important thing imo to accomplish since Oath is starting fresh, there's an amazing opportunity to make quests in Oath actually acknowledge the fact that this is an MMO rather than a single player RPG. I implore you guys, avoid the archetypal "savior of the town/world/multiverse" type storylines to instead give the opportunity for players to either be contributors to some larger grander accomplishment or to have minor and personal successes that reflect down the line, all of this contributes to the idea of a living world rather than a shared environment where all of us have mysteriously done the same thing. The traditional approach feels super-disjointed with all the rest of the content in an MMO.

Example 1: The villagers of the area are suffering to orc attacks, many have contributed in the past and the PC is the latest to contribute to the war effort.
Example 2: A specific NPC (have it rotate to varied minor named NPCs in town) had a friend/loved one kidnapped. PCs go to location to find that NPC's friend/loved one and return them, it isn't the same NPC for every character, and that specific NPC remembers the PCs help on future engagements.

-PvP-
Large scale PvP really is only worth it if it matters. Clan wars over territory, resources and so on have been done beautifully in past games and can absolutely be brought here largely in tact. As far as small scale PvP Duels are great, maybe allow PCs to duel for resources, place bets and so forth. Perhaps have a location PCs can go to to gain reputation for individual and small-scale PvP combat.

-Dungeons-
I think the most important thing here is to have dungeons be fun, interesting, engaging and rewarding without being necessary. One of the worst things about most MMOs imo is the obsession with "endgame" and getting the best thing out of the current set of highest end instances. Personally I think that's garbage design, and sorely hope you don't go that way. I'd much rather see Dungeons award unique cosmetics, special enchantments, unusual recipes or components for crafting than directly awarding the best in slot items. Consider perhaps having dungeons offer scaling content and different, specific rewards, so that it is always worthwhile to return to older dungeons and no content becomes "dead".

-World's/Area's-
Rare spawns: I have always loved the idea of rare spawns, I just think they need to be randomized to the greatest degree possible so that folks aren't camping them. These rare spawns should (like in my dungeon note above) offer unique cosmetics, pets, special enchantments, recipes or crafting goods rather than directly offering the best equipment.

Zone scaling: I realize this is contentious, but I absolutely think all the varied areas in the game should downscale PCs so that folks can play with their lower level friends and still gain relevant/valuable rewards. I realize that some folks prefer the munchkin/oneshot approach, perhaps have an option (selectable once, or via shop consumable) for folks to either down-level or not allowing those who just want to smush lower level enemies god-style to do so and those who would like all the world to be viable to do so as well.

-Monsters-
I don't know how feasible this is, but I think it would be very worthwhile to have monsters be tough and require attention or coordination to fight. Ideally this should be through mobs using tactics rather than just through taking forever to kill via boosted stats. From wolf packs harrying and flanking characters to deal greater damage to melee opponents blocking characters while ranged combatants deal greater damage. As much as you can accomplish here would be great. One of the more disappointing things about BDO is that there is a BEAUTIFUL combat system, that at times falls flat because of the ease of PvE fights.

-Professions-
Personally I'd prefer characters be limited in their adoption of professions. One pretty direct and I think potentially very rewarding system would be to offer the ability to choose a single craft and a single gathering skill or no crafts and three gathering skills. I think a system like this would allow folks who want to craft to do so while also rewarding those who just want to explore the world and gather.

-End Game-
I really really really hate the concept of "endgame" since it tends to speak of endless vertical progression grind and trivialized early content, maybe I'm just traumatized from the sea of WoW clones. Honestly the best thing possible imo would be for Oath to have as many ways as possible for folks to play, enjoy and be viable within the game. If folks want to do dungeons and raids, cool... just don't make that the definitively *BEST* thing to do. If folks want to craft and socialize, cool. If folks want to PvP, go to war and enjoy diplomacy, cool. If folks want to explore the world and find hidden quests etc, cool.

By far the most important thing imo is just to resist the urge to have endgame in Oath be the standard "gear treadmill", this type of endgame rewards only one type of player while forcing everyone else to play their way just to be competitive.

-PvE-
PvE has been stagnant for a long time in MMOs, I think in large part due to some of the other standards of what WoW gave us. It would be wonderful to see more development along the lines of GW2/ESO/Rift's world events, combined with downscaling to make it so that PCs can have a home zone wherever they want rather than all endgame players doing the same stuff. I realize this would be difficult, but I think it is ideal for the long-term health of a game. An added benefit of this approach is that hard content remains hard rather than folks just needing to outlevel it and trivialize it.

Edited by FeveredDreamer
  • Like 1

Just thought I'd chip in and say I whole heartedly agree on most points with PvP.

PvP is GREAT.  Curb stomping guilds with maxed toons preying on the newbies... not so great.

I prefer PvP where you're limited to a certain bracket within your skill, think +/- a certain level.  

I also prefer PvP where there are single way combat zones, and multi way combat zones.  (think good ol' Runescape Wilderness or whatever)

• Like 2

Throughout this discussion/reply i will be referring to some of the other MMO's. specifically WoW (World of warcraft/burning crusade era) and GW2 (Guild wars 2). This does not mean i think of these MMO's as a perfect/ideal one, but they are the closest i ever got to having that "MMO" feeling. Especially WoW. back in the day (2005 or so), sitting there, on a Pentium 3-4 PC... either talking in chat because not everyone had mics, or jumping in ventrello/mumble, and just feeling that huge universe community and for the time i was playing not thinking of real life, as WoW consumed this, and i WAS my character. That was me for those few hours i played. And i built her (i play mainly females), from the ground, as she was nothing. ready to become something. 

-Mounts-

This one is very easy to think of. To have the best experience and to gain the best out of a world map, having ground and flying mounts is important. Now, you can have flying mounts and you flew everywhere and did not interact with the ground people as much, or you see everyone flying inside of a city, which in my opinion would ruin the experience. To combat this, Think of it like inside of big cities, that will be very populated because most things go there (trading, quest checking, market place, role playing, etc) you can't fly inside. Just outside of those big cities is when you can Fly again. There, you will find PvPers, people doing their quests, maybe an interesting spot people go to chat, etc. As long as you are outside of big / populated areas, you are able to have a flying mount. For ground mounts however, you are allowed to go where-ever you want. No restriction.

-Pets-

I always loved having pets in games and collecting them (Account wide, i HATE having outfits and pets and them being character bound). Only thing i don't like about having pets (i am talking about non-combat btw), is that they are just that. pets. u gain them, and thats how they will always be. Now what if you can grab a pet, and you will be able to customize it. As an example, you gained your first pet ever, it being a chicken baby, and its still in its shell. The shell is white, the pet is yellow. Now what if you could go and find ingredients/dyes and turn the white shell into a white with black spots shell, and the yellow pet into a nice black and purple one. To me that sounds so amazing, and i love games that go deep into things like this, and not just "combat". As for combat pets, i think if anything this should be exclusively for the ranger class. no other class in my opinion should have a pet that can attack for them. but thats just an opinion 🙂 

-Classes-

This is a whole broad topic by its own. To keep it short, Classes should be versatile. There is this upcoming MMO called "Lost Ark Online" that i am looking forward to. You know how Koreans are with MMO's 😛 it has crazy class variants and i love that so much. Not even just Lost Ark, just the idea of WoW classes already appeals to me alot. You have your "Holy trinity" of tank/dps/healing, but you can mix match those. for example, Warrior is a tank/DPS by it self (more so Tank), But if you wanted, you could have chosen for Paladin, and all of the sudden you are DPS/Healing Tank. Or a druid, and you all of the sudden can tap in the rogue/assassin class but also the healing, tanking and DPSing. i hope you get my point, classes should be versatile. meaning when you are on the open, and you are mining ore or gathering or what ever in a high dangerous area, and you meet a warrior or ranger, and you kill them, and all of the sudden another one appears, the chances they are the same class should be low. I am not saying they should be completely different, but just having different play style etc (Like in WoW every class having 3 different sub-classes/skill-trees).

-QuestLine-

Questing. Now this is something i will keep short. In MMO's i can honestly never remember where i have actually followed the questline and read every single one. I might have when i first started playing MMOs back in 2003 or whatever, but i honestly doubt i ever did haha 😛 so for me, story is less "important", not to say i do not care about the story. Because obviously i do, Lore is everything for me. But thats just it. Lore. Meaning i will only pay attention on key moments. only the important moments. I just hope Oath will not do what every other MMO did, go to person A, he tells you to go to Person B, person B tells you to kill 3 of these typ of enemies, when finished, Person B tells you to go to person A, person A tells you to kill 5 of these, when finished, you gain 634 Exp and 78 silver. this is so generic. Do i mind doing it to level up? no. But its just boring in my opinion. ill most likely watch netflix or youtube while i do these. 

-PvP-

PvP, oh boy PvP. This can mean 3 things. Open world Player-vs-Player, Arena 3v3 or Duels. I will start with the first one. Open world. Now, i LOVE how WoW did this. But for the sake of it, imagine you can go so a certain area, and you can gab some good materials, and with that you can craft things. now imagine, you get to a dangerous area, where there is no mercy, and there are only level 70 mobs and bosses. You go maneuver to not aggro those, finally you get to whatever area you wanted to be, for that sweet sweet HIGHLY valuable loot. and what do you know... out of those cliffs on the distance, you see red names. they are coming to you. You think to your self, shit, i better get out of here, as you wrap up things and are ready to jump in your mount, behind a structure you get ganged, and you can't use your mount anymore because you are in-combat. the others are closing in, slowly you realize they have the same tag, they are a guild PvPers who like to get points for killing you. Second one is ofcourse Arena PvP. this can be duals, 3v3, 5v5, etc. This is very simple, you go and pvp, you win, you gain honor points. those points you spend on vendors for PvP-only outfits (same as open world points). third one is duals, nothing to say about this, its just duals. no gain no loss. 

-Dungeons-

Dungeons should be versatile too in my opinion. Having alot of options to look to is great. Even if you don't need a certain dungeon, you can still do it to gain exp and gold. perhaps grab those valuable crafting materials. but skipping the roll on armor and weapons since you don't need them. BUT! dungeons are what... 5 people? 6 maybe? its great and all, but i rather have alot of Raids. Raids being you need 20+ people to play. You can enter a raid with only 2 people, but you can't do anything, as just the mobs and elites are very hard to kill. While when you go with 20+ people, you have DPSers, 2 Tanks, healers, etc. And they should not be easy to do. In my opinion 1 raid should be VERY hard to complete, so hard that maybe you will fail after you tried 5 times, and since they are very long (40 mins or so to complete), you are out of luck and need to go to bed, as you got real life job in the AM. so the next day you go again, and try to get that sweet oh sweet loot. But here is the catch, your raid is a success, and you killed the final boss!!!! BUT!!! (again), its not the end, there is still a chance you fail. because its a roll system. the 2 tanks see 2 pieces of armor they really need. they roll, one of the tanks get higher than the other, he claims one or both items, you yell in chat "NOOOOO!!!" and congrats the person for having better luck to getting that item. So, you are shit out of luck, you gotta try next day. and what do you know.... the drops are even better! you walk out with 200 gold, 2 pieces of armor, and your class weapon and some mats. oh the joy of the accomplishment 🙂 

-World's/Area's-

Very simple, keep it different. every area should look different. this one i will give to WoW. one place is ice (dwarfs starting area), other is gothic/dark with broken buildings (starting area for undead), another is by the sea and alive with humans and sunny and all. you get the point. Seeing how Oath's map looks like, i cannot wait to see the actual world. because judging from that, its gonna be different everywhere you go. especially since you can travel by sea.

-Monster's-

A good amount of mobs is good. be it low level or high level. They should all look different, have different moves, give different loot, require different tactics, etc.

-Professions-

This one is VERY close to my heart. i HATE MMO's that implement a crafting system, and in the end, you dont really end up using it. i legit crafted to max maybe in 2 MMO's. I honestly almost never craft in MMO's and its a shame. you have this whole great feature in a game, but you can't even use it. why? because its dissapointing. You work your ass to craft 1 weapon, said weapon is nice, you go to a dungeon, poof, you get dropped a better one. you throw away the hours you spent to craft that weapon. Instead, i like to see it this way. You either PvP and spare shit ton of honor points (not easy to do as you have to kill alot of people), win alot in PvP arenas, and claim those great high armor/weapons that will help you do higher raids easly. Second option is do alot of raiding, and by alot i mean ALOT, as the higher raids get you better loot. with those better loots, you can easly PvP people because you got that good loot and have slightly better damage. With that, you get more honor points, you claim your better pvp armor. Third way, do alot of raids, ALOT of them, grab all those high valued crafting materials, level up crafting to max, craft your self a really good armor that is equivalent to doing alot of PvP (This is a very nice option for people that play only PvE). This way, both PvP players and PvE players can claim their high level armors that are equal, and nobody feels left behind or having to do something they don't enjoy in the game. 

-End Game-

This brings us to End game. See "Professions" for a better view of how End Game is. Because lets face it, we all want to do those very very hard raids that are almost impossible. Or PvP alot and gain that armor we wanted and with that gain titles to show above our head to show no one should mess with you. 

-PvE-

PvE. Oh PvE how i love you. I like PvP alot, but i enjoy PvE the most. Going on Raids, doing dungeons, crafting, fishing, sailing, etc. But here is the thing that i love the most about PvE. and that is the social aspect of it. Imagine you go to a raid with your raid members, be it your guild or people you just met. You guys try your hardest, and you fail and fail, but finally you killed the end boss. everyone is tired, you hear one of your raid members offer everyone to go to the local bar in said village. The whole party goes there, everyone sits on a table, drinking (can be just that. drinks for the lol of it, or drinking and its status is "resting" and you gain bonus exp for limited time). You sit there, talking about the loot you just gained, or how someone heard there is this area in the world where there is this mob and if you kill it you get a chance to get a rare item. or just random banter. I love that, social aspect. Going to sail, and fish for high level fish instead of fishing by the shore, building a house somewhere, and as you gain more money and materials, you up the house, decorating it from the inside, and chilling there with mates.

• Like 2

spacer.png

What I really don't want to see is every class being able to do every role in the game.  If you go that route then just do away with classes as they are irrelevant.  I really don't see the point in having healer as a class if a dps class can for example leech life and never need a heal. What's the point of a tank if the mage can pop a shield and spank a mob that in theory should one or two hit them?  Give each class options but don't allow them to do everything.  Tanks for me should be tanks and healers should be healers but both should have a way that ups their dps when soloing content. DPS should be DPS but they should have extras they bring to a fight cc/buffs/debuffs.  I personally think if everyone can do everything in the game then the social aspect is DOA.

Getting nostalgic here but who remembers the chat window in Vanilla WoW and the calls for a group to take on Hogger or looking for a group for XYZ?  I tanked and healed back then and both were hard but people understood and mistakes, deaths and wipes were all just accepted.  Later when everyone could do everything that understanding and social aspect disappeared which was a pity. 

I don't know how many characters you will be allowed to make but having alts is definitely one very good way to allow people to experience the classes without diluting the identity of those classes.

I love mounts.  When I stopped playing WoW I was just shy of the 250 mark but pets for me are a little meh and some are downright annoying.  I don't necessarily want to see 50,000,000 different mounts and pets but I do think they add something to the game.  Maybe a pet/mount customization screen is possible.  I have no idea because a a coder I make a good ballerina.

Edited by Werric
just wanted to add a copule of things I forgot when I posted
  • Like 1