Biglizard56

Class and Weapon Skills

I'm not sure exactly how they plan to design their classes, but I'm sure we can all agree that there is a lot of different ways that it can be done. And while we can only speculate at this time, I figure we could start a conversation on one particular area of the class design here; specifically that of "What weapons can this class use and how does it affect my gameplay?"

In games such as World of Warcraft, the weapons that one could use on specific classes used to make a lot of difference. Warriors with dual 2H swords had slightly different stats that those with dual 1H axes. Mages and priests could use a state as well as have a wand in their pocket. Enhancement shaman's could use a might 2h mace, dual 1H or even sword and shield. These days however, weapon choice makes very little difference and in fact, classes are now locked into specific ones depending on your specialization. This makes gameplay.... Very stale compared to what we once had.

In Elder Scrolls Online we see the exact opposite of this. All classes have access to all weapons at any given time and their skills/abilities/passives are then built around the one or two you specifically wish to use. A Dragon knight using a 2H front bar and a Bow back bar played very differently than a DK with dual destroy staves. This however leads to many builds looking and feeling very similar to each other across all classes. All bow builds need Hail and Razor Caltrops. All Magicka builds need Wall of Elements. You have varying degrees of similarity but, it's there nonetheless and this too creates a feeling of "cookie cutter" builds. 

These are a few examples of extremes that I've come across in my time. Personally, I would love to have a sort of ESO type weapon system where a Priest or mage could be just as useful in combat with a sword or even maybe a bow, than they are with a stave or wand. Though, rather than have abilities in a pool that everyone has access to associated with a specific weapon, perhaps the class itself should have a couple spells focused around the weapon type. This would mean a lot if extra work and it's only an idea, but I'd hate to see this game go the way of WoW and lock you to one or two specific weapon types based on your class.

Thoughts? Opinions?

• Like 1

In Guild Wars 2 you can use most weapons on most classes. The weapon will do different things depending on the class wielding it. This can make a deep and diverse class building experience.

In Mabinogi, your class is dependant on the weapon you are using. For example; to be an archer, take out your bow. To be a ninja, switch out your shuriken. This gives a large area of growth, getting the best weapon for each class you like to use.

Having access to other classes on the same character allows you to fill in roles needed in your party. This is can be seen in Mabinogi (see above), Twin Saga, Advernture Quest 3D, etc. Another way of implementing it is to allow the player to only change class in-town as in Acheage. Personally I very much like the idea of having access to any class on one character rather than making many alts. For people who do like making alts, there's nothing to stop them.

While I do like the idea of any class being able to arm themselves with any weapon of their choosing, I worry that this takes away from how impactful a class could be. Ready-Up would need to make weapons that classes use feel truly impactful or it may become meta for say a Mage to take up wielding a bow and leaving Rangers in the dust simply because Mages have better spells at their disposal. If such a feature like this were to exist, say mages gain bonuses relevant to being a mage if they're wielding a staff, then what makes a bow-wielding Mage stack up to the traditional one?

I come from ArcheAge, where any of the 109(?) classes could wear any armor type and wield any weapon they want. Some skills required a bow to shoot archery attacks, others allowed you to simply use your skills regardless of equipment. The true freedom, in theory, was awesome but in practice, I felt like it cornered a metagame that everyone found themselves emulating (I'm looking at you, Darkrunners!).

9.jpg

Find me on: [Steam] | Discord: [Lich.Daddy.UwU]#3769

On 5/23/2019 at 9:33 AM, Jeremy said:

"Having access to other classes on the same character allows you to fill in roles needed in your party." "Personally I very much like the idea of having access to any class on one character rather than making many alts."

I am almost positive they've stated that 1 character will only have 1 class. Not confirmed however on whether that 1 class will have skill trees to expand or broaden playstyle but... 1 class peer character.

I think that weapons should be class locked, as I think they are, but I feel there should be at lest 2 weapons like people have mentioned above to provide a little more variety 

spacer.png

Weapons to classes for me too and pleaaaaase not stat sticks.  I can see a sword wielding mage but not one wielding a bow.  I know this is very arch-typical but mages are seen as book worms and somewhat frail so probably without the strength required to draw a bow.  Warriors are seen as big dumb meat shields who would look ridiculous with a flimsy skinny wand in their big hand.  Rogues are sneaky little buggers who would look stupid wielding a 2H anything.  If everyone can do everything you still end up with people playing the role/class they like the most.  You want to experience all the game has to offer go alts.

Skill trees for weapons I like.  Nothing complicated but something that could add a little extra.  If weapons have skill tress then if you pick up a mace after leveling a sword would you have to level up the mace from scratch?  If so that would make me hang onto a crappy sword until I got a better one rather than taking that mace which is better but needs leveling up.  Reminds me of early WoW and having to level your skill in each weapon type.  While good in theory if you never got a decent XYZ until you were level 30 then you had to go to a lower level area to hit stuff to level up XYZ until it was usable for the content in your leveling zone.

Skill tree for weapons? Like level them up and upgrade them? I like it.

I also like the idea of character to have weapon level with classes to give bonus levels - warrior give bonus to swords, so leveling your bow handling is possible, but hard. And higher weapon handling level gives access to better weapons.